SSAB Alabama is seeking a Human Resource Manager for its Mobile, Alabama facility. This position will be responsible for a variety of professional Human Resources functions and will carry out responsibilities in some or all of the following functional areas: recruiting, benefits administration, employee relations, managing the performance appraisal process, compensation administration, and managing Human Resources reporting requirements along with other Human Resources-related responsibilities.
Employee Relations/Communications/Policy Administratiion
- Communicates with employees and assists with addressing and resolving personnel issues. Available for employee concerns, comments, and issues.
- Provides recommendations to the Director of Human Resources on training programs, trouble areas and other opportunities
- Assists in the planning process for special activities intended to enhance employee relations and employee involvement.
- Communicates with other departments, employees, applicants, administrators, and staff to provide information and assistance regarding recruitment, transfers, employment, and personnel records.
- Compiles the Weekly Management Report in the absence of the Human Resources Director.
- Manages the Company random drug-testing program.
- Administers benefits operations by serving as primary plant contact for employees pertaining to insurance questions, interpretation of billing problems, assisting employees in acquiring access to medical expertise, and training employees in how to access the benefit system.
- Counsels employees (and potential employees/applicants) on plan provisions so that individuals can make informed benefit decisions.
- Serves as a liaison between the Corporate Benefits Department and the site. This would include: Healthcare benefits, 401-K and Profit Sharing, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, etc.
- Administers the FMLA program and works closely with Company physician and local physician to coordinate disability issues and return to work programs. Serves as a liaison between employee and supervisor concerning return to work schedules and alternate duty issues.
- Coordinates employee leaves such as FMLA leaves including disability leaves and military leaves and coordinates return-to-work programs for short-term disability leaves.
- Manages local administration of employee tuition reimbursement program. Serves as primary contact for employees concerning program guidelines. Responsible for file maintenance of program, to include application completion, approval processing, and reimbursement.
- Provides benefits support and administration to the branch locations.
- Employee Data Management
Manages Human Resources reporting requirements and HRIS including:
- Manpower reporting on a weekly basis and related reports as required including on-site contractor head count.
- Processing status changes (i.e. new hire, salary increase, promotion/transfer, termination, and misc.)
- Communicating employee changes to appropriate department such as payroll, benefits, Medical Department, etc.
- Maintaining employee files to ensure they are accurate and complete.
- Interfaces with government agencies on employee related items (i.e. unemployment claims, Wage Surveys, etc.)
- Manages employee terminations including following established check-off procedures
- Manages the Hourly Employee Performance Management Program
- Responsible for KPI tracking for local site and branch locations.
- Responsibility for ensuring that appropriate requisitions have been obtained.
- Initiate background checks, schedule PSP testing, prepare offer letters, schedule pre-employment physicals and schedule start date.
- Responsible for making contact with candidates (finalists) and verbally extending offers of employment.
Salary Planning/Performance Management
- Manages the performance appraisal process. This will include training of supervisors, ensuring that appropriate data are included in the Performance Appraisal, and ongoing maintenance of the process.
- Assists in the administration of salary plan.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree in Business, Management, or Human Resources with 5 or more years or more related industry experience.
- A minimum of 5 years broad, progressively senior experience as a Human Resources practitioner within an industrial manufacturing environment, preferably heavy industry.
- Familiarity with state and federal employment legislation, policies and practices.
- Good business sense, an ability to analyze business and organizational issues to make sound judgements based on a balance of all the factors; business, organizational, employee needs, etc.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of human resources, including hiring and training new employees, managing compensation and benefits, handling employee concerns and disputes, and improving company policies.
- A well organized professional who has a track record of handling multiple complex assignments simultaneously and has prioritized the workload to ensure it has been completed successfully and on time.
- Computer literate with a firm understanding of how technology can be utilized to improve efficiency within the workplace.
- A proven problem solver who enjoys human resources/ employee relations challenges.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Jill Vinson, Human Resources Director, Jill.Vinson@ssab.com