Job Title: HR/Payroll Manager FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Administration Reports to: Administrator
Summary: Assists in management of all human resource matters regarding support staff within the firm. This may include, but is not limited to the process of hiring, assignment, supervision, training, evaluation, discipline, termination, salary and bonus administration and maintenance of human resource records. Monitors time for support staff, processes payroll checks and makes related accounting entries. Performs a variety of administrative duties. Maintains positive contact with attorneys, support staff and clients; observes confidentiality of personnel and firm matters.
Essential duties and responsibilities: Essential functions are primarily job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassigned or with some reasonable accommodation made by the employer.
1. Assists Administrator in the review of full-time and part-time support staffing levels. Interviews and hires qualified applicants with the Administrator.
2. Assists Administrator in the implementation and administration of all employee plans including health insurance, life insurance, LTD and STD insurance, voluntary insurance and Retirement Plans.
3. Assists in orientation program for support staff. Monitors new employee’s progress. Conducts 6 month reviews of support staff. Assists in the development and maintenance of a program for advancement of professional skills of staff members.
4. Develops human resource policies for consideration and inclusion in the Employee Handbook. Maintains the Employee Handbook. Ensures compliance with federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
5. Develops standard job descriptions for support staff, reviews periodically.
6. Assists in administration of annual evaluation process, wage and salary review of support staff, and bonus program. Monitors support staff salaries to ensure comparable job market salaries.
7. Receives and considers staff problems on a confidential basis. Acts as liaison between the employee and supervisor. Prepares, if necessary, confidential “memo to file” and/or probationary memo and reviews it with the employee.
8. Maintains schedule of staff vacations and backup support. Monitors use of PTO and other absences.
9. Monitors overtime reports.
10. Processes payroll and maintains the computerized system reports.
11. Handles verification of employment and salary verification requests for lending institutions.
12. Ensures updating of in-house telephone directory, home address listing, and office floor plan.
13. Assists in arranging for receptions and events, as needed.
14. Maintains archive files of client/matter nature.
15. Leads training and knowledge base for software used by support staff. Assists the IT Department as needed.
16. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities required:
Knowledge of human resource administration at a level normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management, Business or equivalent, and approximately 3-5 years of progressively more responsible work experience in order to gain the expertise needed to administer.
1. Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints. Work independently and as part of a team.
2. Perform detailed work and analysis accurately and efficiently.
3. Interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate with a diverse group of attorneys, staff, and vendors and provide information with ordinary courtesy and tact while safeguarding confidentiality.
4. Accounting knowledge and dealing with complexity.
5. Work occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
6. Ability to use data base software, spreadsheet, and word processing software and equipment to complete analysis and reports.
1. Normal work environment does not include excessive noise, dust, temperature and the like.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Resumes should be directed to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.